Monday 2 June 2008

The Material Boy #96


Dior Homme Fall Winter 2008/2009 ' Lumiere Du Nord' Bags And Shoes

I am not a fan of what Kris Van Assche has done to Dior Homme ever since Hedi Slimane relinquished the creative reign for this once very forward and directional brand. It was a brand to look out for each season to find out how Slimane's designs will influence and translate to key trends after his shows. However, under Kris Van Assche direction, the brand took a classic turn and I am no longer keen on the pieces that came thru the past 2 seasons. It was horrible in my books. The pleated 'MC hammer' pants this and next season is just pure yucky. I was not even remotely interested in the accessories as they often look badly made and cheap with frivolous detailing. The coated canvas fabric on bags and wallets is way too cheap a material to use to warrant the ridiculous prices they command. And the branding is too loud for my taste for a brand like Dior Homme who used to radiate subtle sophistication.

Okay, I know I am putting the brand down a lot here. So I decided to check on the brand's website and see what updates or new things will be offered for the coming season. Fortunately, there are some accessories which caught my eye! Phew, I thought this brand is going down the deepest 'ocean trenches' with Kris Van Assche's 'return to classic' creative direction. There is this range of bags under the 'Lumiere Du Nord' that somehow got me attracted. Perhaps it has a more rock star, punk feel to it, befitting Slimane's Dior Homme. Or the use of calf and patent black leather creating a subtle and yet classy feel that gets me excited. I also like the strappy detailing which is interesting and unique. So maybe there is some hope for Dior Homme. The saddle shape sling bag is my favourite. The asymmetrical shape is very funky and one of a kind. I just love it!

Wonder what will the retail price be. And the Dior Homme website should add more views so we all can have a better grasp of the designs of bags and shoes.

Hopefully, more appealing designs awaits us in the stores when fall season is in full force.

No comments: