Saturday 5 July 2008

The Material Boy #118




Gucci Zip Top Medium Tote

Another item that caught my eye while shopping at DFS Scottswalk today. I never thought I could taken a liking for Gucci's monogram bags, but apparently, this zip top medium tote made from dark brown guccissima leather is pure eye candy! The rich dark brown colour is expensive looking, but most of all the size and shape of the bag is just so right! The tote is roomy and yet not overpowering to be cumbersome for daily use. Next, the shape is very elegant. If you look at the tote bag from the side, you can see it is triangular. So that means the top part tapers down to a broader base. I love trapeze shape bags and this bag looks really nice in this format. The tote bag also comes with a zip top closure to ensure security of contents.

This bag will definitely be one of the considerations for my fall winter 2008/2009 bag purchases. Furthermore, Guccissima leather range is known to rarely go on sale until probably many seasons later. But I sense this shape will be one that could be a recurring classic and hence probability of it being markdown in six months time is low.

However, I cannot guarantee as much for the same bag in monogram canvas. This tote also comes in a beige and ebony canvas and brown GG fabric version (the same colour as the runway bags for fall winter 2008/2009). The brown fabric version has an extra bag charm attached to the bag that is reminiscent of the russian runway styles. Both versions are not available in Singapore stores yet.

For me, I will pick the Guccissima leather option anyday as leather is much more luxurious than canvas and the debossed effect on Guccissima leather is more subtle. Plus, the leather verison costs slightly lesser (10 Euros) than the fabric version. Can you believe it? Ridiculous. Why would I pay more for fabric if I can have leather.:-P

Retail price:
1) Guccissima Leather Version: Euro $645

2) Brown GG Fabric Version with bag charm: Euro 655

3) Beige And Ebony GG Canvas: Euro $470

Where to buy: Gucci Boutique at DFS Scottswalk (For Guccissima Leather Version)

No comments: